Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thorhauge MC step up pre-amplifier


I traded my Linn turntable (without arm) for a Thorhauge. It is a solid state discrete FET battery powered pre-amplifier with 26dB gain. In fact when this friend from Penang suggested it to me, I have already placed my order for the DIY kit of Hagerman Piccolo FET moving coil head amp which also recomended battery power supply.

On using the Thorhauge, I find it absolutely quite and noiseless, and eventhough the gain is high all the slight hum present when using transformer MC step up was completely gone. Changing the input loading between 10, 20, 30, 50, 100 & 250 ohms has the effect of some treble and gain boost or cut. Still have not got the optimum setting yet.

When the Hagerman Piccolo arrives, I intend to house it inside the Thorhauge and keep their individual set of inputs/outputs separate and only share a common power supply.

No comments: